Sunday, December 9, 2007

Proud Mom

I try not to be the type of person that goes around doing a lot of bragging, but sometimes one of my kids just does something that is so exceptional I have to share. Please forgive me for this indulgence as I claim BIG bragging rights today!

My younger son is a college student studying mechanical engineering. He works very hard and his efforts have been paying off. He was just inducted into the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society. To be eligible for Tau Beta Pi, a student has to meet certain requirements. They must be in the top 1/8th percentile of their class and they must also exhibit exemplary character. I am very proud of my son's academic acheivements, but to this proud Mom's heart, it is the wonderful character qualities that he exhibits that mean the most to me. After all, he will soon be finished with his schooling and nobody will remember his GPA, but he will spend the rest of his life being defined by his character.

Thank you for allowing me this bit of bragging today as I am sure you can understand why I am such a proud Mom.

Sam wearing his Tau Beta Pi medallion

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you're proud of ONE of your kids. I guess I'm going to have to work a little harder to keep up! It is a competition, isn't it? :) Just kidding. Be sure to tell Leon "good job" for me.

Love,
Kyle

Jim said...

No need to apologize for being proud of Leon. It's obvious that all the bad habits Young Kyle picked up from PhD boy have not yet rubbed off on his younger brother.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve's girl said...

kl,
No competition, after all you're my favorite. Or is Sam my favorite??? No, I think it is you. Or possibly Sam? It depends on the day and I haven't had a chance to decide yet today. Hmmmm.........

Jim,
I have only noticed positive changes in Kyle from his friends in TX. Maybe he is just hiding all the bad habits from me!?!

Ed's girl said...

How wonderful!!! I would be proud too!! I love hearing about your boys. You and Steve have done a wonderful job raising such smart, responsible young men! Please tell Sam congrats for us!!

Steve's girl said...

Ed's girl,
Thank you for the nice comment. Hope your back is feeling better and you are able to get your holiday prep done! We miss you all and would love to see you soon.

Darlene said...

Steve's girl,
I am behind on blog-reading! Congrats to Sam and to you and Steve!!! You have a lot to be proud of with BOTH sons AND they BOTH know that! =)

-darlene-

Steve's girl said...

Darlene,
Thank you. I am very proud of both of my sons (and you are absolutely correct...no matter what Kyle says, he knows it too)!