Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fun in the Foothills...

Tuesday Steve had the day off so we decided to enjoy the glorious spring weather and head out on an adventure drive. This time we had a destination in mind... the foothills of the gold country where some of our favorite small towns are located. First stop was my favorite bookstore in old town Jackson. I can't get close to Jackson without stopping at Hein & Co. to pick up a few good reads. Unfortunately, I was so excited to be at the bookstore that I forgot to take a picture of it!


After browsing in the bookstore and buying several books, we thought we would attempt to make our way up to a little old church that we saw as we were heading into Jackson. It sits up on a hill behind Main Street. Steve is a great navigator and we only made one wrong turn before we found the church.





We proceeded from Jackson through Mokelumne Hill and then on to the little town of Angel's Camp. I was having such a good time that I forgot to take pictures, but I am sure we will go back again. We manage to head up that way at least twice a year.

On the way home, we stopped to enjoy the beautiful California poppies (Eschscholzia californica)that were blooming everywhere. The hills were ablaze with color.



It was a very enjoyable day and I look forward to many more adventure drives in the coming months. Hopefully I will remember to take more pictures next time!

3 comments:

Jim said...

How can you forget to take photos?! The ones you took are great though. The countryside is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Steve's girl said...

I know...I'm a dummy!!! I got so totally absorbed in enjoying myself that I must have had a brain lapse!

Maybe I just wanted an excuse to go back soon!

Thanks for the comment.

Ed's girl said...

What beautiful pictures!! The poppies are breath taking! Great day, how fun!!

Dee
xxxxxxxxxxx