Friday, February 18, 2011

FDN (Family Dinner Night)

One of the things I really missed when I became an empty nester last year was cooking for my family. After some thought, I came up with the idea of a weekly family dinner night at my house so I could fulfill my passion for cooking, my love for finding new recipes, and my mother's heart to nurture my kiddos. Steve was totally on board with the idea, so I quicky zipped off emails to all the kiddos with a hopeful heart that they would be receptive.

Well, Holly immediately replied with a big thumbs up for her and Kyle and Amy's positive response for her and Sam followed shortly therafter. Alas, FDN was born and we would be meeting on Wednesday evenings.

I have to say, Wednesday has become my favorite day of the week. All week long I eagerly anticipate the moment they all descend upon my house, including my granddoggy, Scout. Yes, I love everything about FDN. I will admit that the biggest challenge is coming up with food everyone enjoys. I have two very picky eaters, but I won't rat them out (Steve and Amy, you know who you are)!!

What has been a really great surprise is that we always end up playing some sort of game after dinner. My house is filled with noisy, silly, banter and my favorite sound in the world...laughter.

The funny thing is that the kids think they are the ones being blessed because they get dinner, dessert, and usually go home with leftovers too; however, I know differently...the blessings are truly mine...



Valentine's FDN

3 comments:

Steve/Dad said...

FDN is so much fun. I sure enjoy having the kids over. We have such great food, fabulous fun games and wonderful time with the whole family.

Holly said...

I sure do love FDN too! We always have so much fun, and it is such a blessing! :) Thank you for all the hard work you put into!

Steve's girl said...

Honey, I know you enjoy FDN as much as I do and that makes my heart so happy.

Holly, I am so glad you love FDN and are always so appreciative. You're very welcome; the pleasure is mine!